Tenby junior rugby news tenby observer

After a long spell of cancelled games due to the weather, Tenby United Under 10s were up for the challenge of a round-robin tournament at home against Pembroke Dock Quins and St. Clears. The opening game was to be against the Quins. Both teams started with great enthusiasm and were battling hard to be the team to gain control of the ball. It was to be a ball stolen and secured on the floor by Owen though that would provide the first try scoring opportunity of the day which would see Lewis show fantastic strength to power over the line for Tenby. Quickly from the restart, another opportunity to steal possession back was handed to the Seasiders, this time Jayden securing possession and allowing the ball to move along the back line to Alfie who turned on the pace to cross the try line.

Quins were showing good strength and trying to gain vital territory, but some big tackles from Tenby kept the Quins camped in their own half and eventually it was to be Tenby who were rewarded with another try this time for Owen in the corner. The next try came after some lovely running by Tenby. A charge down the centre by Alfie W saw play brought up into the Quins half, Rhys was to continue the push forward and a well-timed pop pass to Louie in support would see him cross to score. Momentum was building for the Seasiders and another phase of quick hands along their back line would see Alfie cross for his second of the morning. Quins kept pushing forward and once they managed to piece together a set of passes of their own along their attacking line they were rewarded with their first try of the day. Tenby came back firing and some great strength up front from the likes of Lucy and Morgan saw once again the Quins camped on their try line. Eventually, the continued pressure would see Jayden spot a gap to dive over. With the seconds counting down towards half-time it would be a determined run by Connor down the wing which would see him cross just before the whistle blew. Half-time score 35-5 to Tenby.

The second half continued at a good pace and in the opening minutes it would be a strong run by Connor which would create the space for Rhys to cross in the corner. This was quickly followed at the restart by another Tenby score when possession was regained by the Tenby forwards and the platform was set for Connor to go off on another run this time running the length of the field himself to score. Tenby were looking confident and enjoying running the ball. They continued to run it at every opportunity and once Louie found ball in hand carved his way through the Quins defence to score a lovely try. The next score was to come from loose ball when a big tackle by Rhys dislodge possession from the Quins hands and it was to be Alfie who picked up and darted across to score for the seasiders. This was quickly followed by another score for Alfie bringing his try count to four. Quins didn’t let their heads drop though and continued to try and push Tenby back. After a number of phases saw them gain good territory, they were rewarded with a second try. Tenby from the restart started to reapply some pressure of their own and slowly push the Quins back into their own half. It would then be Lewis who would turn the pressure into points and crash over for another Tenby try. With time nearly at an end, the Seasiders were to take one more opportunity and Rowan when presented with a gap sidestepped his way over for the final try of the game. Final score 70-10.

Tenby were to remain on the pitch to play the next game against St. Clears. From the first whistle, it was clear to see that both teams looked strong. But the Seasiders kept their heads and built up the phases to bring the game eventually up onto the St. Clears line. A scrum was set and it was from this Alex picked up and showed immense strength to crash over the line and get the ball down for the opening try. Tenby tried to continue with the pressure, but some big tackles from St. Clears didn’t allow for the flowing rugby Tenby were trying to play. It would eventually be a big tackle by the Seasiders from Rocco that would see the ball dislodged and possession back with Tenby. A determined run by Alfie would follow and his fast pace allow him to cut through the St. Clears defence to score. Just before half-time, Tenby continued to build momentum and run the ball at every opportunity and this was in the dying seconds of the half rewarded with a try for Louie. Half-time score was 15-0 to Tenby.

The Seasiders, although tiring after two hard games, came out strong, a injection on pace by Connor took play up field and this was where both teams were to spend a lot of time battling for the ball. But it would be St. Clears who would be rewarded when a loose ball was picked up and they crossed the line for their first. From the restart, Tenby’s forwards did what they had done all morning, securing the ball and in doing so created a platform from where the backs quick hands got the ball out to Connor who crossed for the Seasiders fourth. Final score 20-5 to Tenby.

Tenby won both their games with some great tagging, passing and excellent tries. The two wins were well-deserved. They all played so well that the coaches couldn’t pick a man-of-the-match. Well done Under 8s, you are all this week’s men of the matches!

Tenby Swifts Under 8s are honoured to have been selected to play at half-time during the European Champions Cup quarter-final between the Scarlets and La Rochelle today (Good Friday). Kiln Park have kindly sponsored the team’s new jackets especially for the day, a huge thank you to Kiln Park! Our boys are certainly going to look the part at Parc y Scarlets.

A glorious Sunday morning saw the Seasiders travel up to north Pembrokeshire for the quarter-final round of the cup. With the very poor weather over the last few months causing major disruption to the fixtures, Tenby hadn’t played a competitive match since the beginning of January, so it was an incredibly eager squad of 16 players who lined up against Crymych.

Another try by Jobe, which was again well converted by Ieuan, saw the visitors extend their lead, but just on the cusp of half-time, Crymych were justly rewarded for their concerted efforts and gained seven points of their own, to make the score 28-7 at the interval.

It was like a complete role reversal! With Crymych now scoring three unanswered converted tries, Tenby’s big lead had somehow slipped away and with the score level, both sides were fighting hard to earn their place in the semi-finals of the cup!

With Tenby back in the lead, hearts were racing and everyone was wondering how many minutes were left to play! With a beautiful last piece of supporting play between Eddie and Fin, who found the tryline for the second time and then stepped up to convert his own try, the score was back in the Seasiders’ favour with a cushion of two converted tries. Phew, would this be enough?

On a sunny Sunday morning on the 4G surface, the young Swifts kicked off and were soon on the attack, resulting in two early converted tries. The forward pack were given a tough test by the home side, but some ferocious tackling led to a steady stream of turnover ball which gave the backs space to score further tries to leave the half-time score 28 points to nil.

Some fine moves with interplay between backs and forwards saw the ball being moved across the full width of the pitch and the tries continued to be scored throughout the half. An eighth try of the match bought the score to over 50 points and the referee blew the whistle to bring the game to an early end.